Many thanks to the growing list of people who have helped support this project in any number of different ways. It’s all helped!
So much gratitude for anyone who has pledged financial support at any point through the life of this project on Patreon:
- Leon Whitegroatt
- Paul Alborough (Professor Elemental)
- Danie Chance
- Sally Nall
- Ashleigh Crosby
- Siobhan Totterdale
- Matt Kik
- Murdock Swales
- Hannah Mereine
- Helena DeReybekill
- Erin McCarthy
- Yasmin Ogbu
- Jonathan Fetter-Vorm (author of Battle Lines – A Graphic History of the Civil War) – for advice on writing an historical graphic novel.
Inspiration, Research, and Resources
I had to get my information and ideas from somewhere! And some of these good people helped me out with visual resources.
- Cate Lineberry (author of Be Free or Die: ) – for an account of Robert Smalls’ life that I used as a jumping-off point for all that followed.
- Andrew Billingsley (author of Yearning to Be Free: Robert Smalls of South Carolina and His Families) – a look at Smalls’ life and relationships.
- Randy Van Nostrand – for supplying me with a digital 3D model of the CSS Planter as a visual reference for drawing it.
- Justin McIntyre – (curator of the South Carolina Maritime Museum) for sending me some photos of the model of the CSS Planter in the museum
- Michael Boulware Moore – Robert Smalls’ great-great-grandson who sent me some photos of Robert Smalls.
Sometimes the support has been just an ear to listen to me worry, or cheering me on as I work.
- Jessica Brettle – an avid supporter since day one.
- Elle Wood – Another active member of the cheering squad.
- Anya Jung – a fellow artist whose insights and input have been most useful.
And absolutely anyone that has said a kind, encouraging, or constructive word to me throughout the project, or shared or reposted anything relating to it. It is all noticed, and all appreciated.